Top 5 Movies of 2014 that I have seen obviously
1. The Imitation Game- This movie was great. I usually don't like "talking" movies but this movie, was fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch was great as Alan Turing, you could see Turing's struggles to first break the enigma code and then deal with his sexuality being discovered and the problems that stemmed from that.It was also very interesting, to find out why the machine was called Christopher, stemming from his childhood crush. Cumberbatch was not the only good actor in this movie. I thought that his "wife" Joan Clarke, played by Keira Knightly also put in a great performance, she was sympathetic with him when he was discovered as being gay, she did not abandon him in that hard time. The crossword puzzle scene with Keira Knigthly is one of the best scenes of the year. I don't know who the child actor was who played Alan Turing as a kid but he was also great, you could see and sort of relate to the struggle of him being different and falling in love with his friend Christopher who was the only one who was nice to him. Alan Leech the actor that played John Carincross, hid the fact that he was a spy so well for the entire movie, you would think he could actually be a spy in real life, if he quit acting.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy- Marvel Can’t Fail. This movie had characters that I did not know much about but are household names now. Prior to the movie I was interested to see how Vin Diesel would take 3 words, “I am Groot” to mean the billions of words in the English language to put into a sentence. Bradley Cooper also did a phenomenal job tip toeing the line for Rocket. Rocket is a type of character that if Bradley Cooper screwed it up and made Rocket too much of a cheesy cartoon character, the movie would have tremendously suffered, but Bradley Cooper made Rocket, funny but also a deeper character than just laughs. I don’t watch Parks and Rec, so I did not know about Chris Pratt, before this role. Chris Pratt was awesome as, Peter Quill/Starlord. Pratt made this role his own; he got into great shape and brought humor that tremendously helped the movie. Zoe Saldana is better green than blue, fact. She brought a level of female badassness (just made up a word, I don’t care) that the movie needed, in a world really full of men dominating the movie. Dave Bautista is a wrestler that’s all I knew him from prior to this movie. I knew since he was a WWE Superstar, he would be fine in the action scenes because that’s his job to act fighting in the WWE. However, like the rest of his cast mates he can act and was funny. He can act, unlike some other WWE superstars in the past, and he seems like a smart, good guy. The soundtrack is one of the best in the last decade of movies. I constantly listen to it. The after credits scene is not the coolest but it is far and away the most entertaining after credits scene Marvel has ever done. Peter Serafinowicz’s line, “What a bunch of a-holes” is easily one of the best lines of 2014, for the pure delivery of it and the humor behind it. Dancing Baby Groot is also really awesome!! I must have seen this movie 4 or 5 times after it came out in theaters.
3. 22 Jump Street- I loved the first one, 21 Jump Street, and everybody knows comedy sequels are hard to get right, well Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and the rest of the cast got this one right. This movie was hilarious, the plot was completely different than 21 Jump Street, which some comedy sequels struggle with. The dynamic that Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill have with each other, is part of why these movies are so great. The movie is just a laugh fest from start to finish. They stay current with the current trends, in the clothing, something most movies don’t, wearing a Odd Future sweatshirt at one point. Ice Cube is also pretty funny in this movie, his office being shaped like an ice cube, was pretty funny. The “My name Jeff” line starts the movie off on the right foot, that it keeps walking on until the end.
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- Marvel again hits the right notes throughout this movie. This movie differed tremendously from Guardians of the Galaxy, which was great, because it was funny but also had good action. This was an action movie more than a comedy with action. Chris Pine, as he was in the previous Captain America film was great. The entire cast was great. Since I was little kid, I loved Falcon as a character, so to see him being brought to the big screen made me ecstatic, especially when Anthony Mackie did a great job with the character. Sebastian Stan also did a great job, as The Winter Soldier. Marvel can do political thrillers as well as action movies that’s what this movie showed. As Marvel always does, with everything being connected the events of this movie happen in the same universe as every other movie/tv show in the Marvel universe to create one big fantastic universe. Robert Redford was really evil but played the character of Alexander Pierce, fantastically. I enjoyed seeing GSP or George St.Pierre one of the best UFC fighters ever, play Batroc the Leaper. The scene on the boat with GSP and Chris Pine was a great fight scene that I’m sure they practiced a lot. Hailey Atwell was great as Sharon Carter, which even builds the excitement towards Agent Carter the upcoming tv show on ABC about Sharon Carter. Frank Grillo was really cool then he was really bad and in the future as the bad guy Cross Bones, he will be really deadly and slightly scary, which I can’t wait for. Standard Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Fury was a great character in this movie.
5. Million Dollar Arm- I liked this movie, because the two pitchers were relatable, thanks to good acting. Jon Hamm was pretty good, relatable as a man that is struggling with his business, and finds a solution in a foreign land. It is a sports movie, which I love. I liked Lake Bell’s performance as Jon Hamm’s neighbor and friend. The fact that it was a true story was very interesting and made me search for their stories, with the person I saw the movie with after the movie.
Top 4 Worst Movies of 2014
1. The Theory of Everything- This movie really sucked. It was insanely boring. The acting was not laughable but it was not as good as some other movies this year. The plot was boring. Why make a movie about Stephen Hawking? I can summarize the entire movie in one sentence, Steven Hawking is a really smart college kid, he goes to a lecture that changes life, he gets ALS, he marries his girlfriend, he does a lot of research, makes scientific breakthroughs, he writes a famous book, his wife cheats on him with a church choir director, he gets married to his nurse, and finally he makes a big speech. I just saved you 2 and a half hours of your life you won’t ever get back, in 30 seconds.
2. A Million Ways to Die in the West- I had very high hopes for this movie before going to see it. However, the movie did not deliver, Seth McFarlane is awesome but he missed the mark on this movie. The funniest parts of this movie were in the trailer. The funniest part in the movie not in the trailer, when Jamie Foxx has a cameo as his character Django.
3. The Lego Movie- This movie was okay, not the worst but not the best either. That song is really annoying, and this movie is decent.
4. Lucy- The concept of this movie was stupid, you need a “magic drug” to use 100% of your brain, that is not true, humans already use 100% of their brain with no magic drug. The action was decent but the entire movie got lost in the inaccuracy of the major plot.